Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023 is a flagship scheme launched by the Indian government in 2005 with the objective of reducing maternal and neonatal mortality rates by promoting institutional delivery and providing financial assistance to pregnant women from economically weaker sections. The scheme has been successful in increasing institutional deliveries and improving access to maternal and neonatal health services. The government has now announced new measures for the implementation.
Benefits of Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023
The Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023 is expected to provide the following benefits
- Financial Assistance: The scheme will provide financial assistance to pregnant women from economically weaker sections for institutional delivery, including transport costs.
- Focus on High-Performing States: The scheme will focus on states that have shown significant improvement in institutional deliveries and maternal and neonatal health outcomes.
- Expansion of the Scheme: The scheme will be expanded to cover more beneficiaries and to provide a wider range of maternal and neonatal health services.
- Strengthening Health Infrastructure: The scheme will help in strengthening the health infrastructure by providing funds for the upgradation of health facilities, including the provision of essential drugs and equipment.
Implementation of Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023
The Janani Suraksha Yojana 2023 will be implemented in the following ways.
- Registration of Pregnant Women: Pregnant women from economically weaker sections will be registered for the scheme and provided with a JSY card.
- Financial Assistance: Eligible pregnant women will receive financial assistance for institutional delivery and other expenses.
- Identification of High-Risk Pregnancies: High-risk pregnancies will be identified, and additional financial assistance and medical support will be provided.
- Monitoring and Evaluation: The scheme will be monitored and evaluated to ensure its effective implementation and impact.
The crucial initiative by the Indian government is to improve maternal and neonatal health outcomes and reduce maternal and neonatal mortality rates. The focus on high-performing states, expansion of the scheme, and strengthening of the health infrastructure are expected to have a significant impact on maternal and child healthcare in India. However, the success of the scheme depends on its effective implementation and addressing the challenges faced in its implementation.